Center for International Business Valuation
A Research, Consulting, and Education Company Dedicated to the Business Valuation Profession
CfIBV is a global think tank dedicated to both the science and the art of business valuation
The Center provides relevant, advanced continuing education opportunities to professionals working in the field of business valuation
Is the World Ready for Another Financial Meltdown?
In the world of accounting and valuation, much consternation exists among CPAs, Government Auditors, Financial Analysts, and Credentialed Valuators regarding the
determination of the fair value of financial instruments. Both the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) have identified the fair value reporting of financial instruments as
one of the top priorities needing improvements. Most prominent among the reasons given for the failures to accurately determine the values of these financial constructs is the complexity of these instruments, which are steadily increasing as a result of enhanced computing capabilities
The Need for Uniformed Standards in Valuing Financial Instruments
According to Alok Mahajan, Principal, Valuation & Business Modeling Services, KPMG US, financial reporting requirements related to complex financial instruments have continued to increase along with regulatory scrutiny on valuation-related conclusions.
The Center recognizes the need for training of these complex, financial instruments. The valuation of these instruments has implications in accounting, taxation, and valuation. The training, which is consistently updated for new instruments, will consist of the following valuation topics:
- Fair Value Accounting.
- Equity instruments such as common stock, preferred, warrants, options and employee compensation.
- Debt instruments such as bonds and hybrids.
- Securitizations along with the many yield calculations and duration/ convexity metrics
- Derivative contracts such as forwards, futures, swaps, and exotic options. This will cover all the various types of instruments within each class of derivatives.
- Structured products.
According to KPMG, below are some of the regulatory issues that require valuations. We, at the Center, conduct training in these and other financial instrument valuation areas.
WE ARE READY! Through our "International Certified Valuation Specialist with Advanced Financial Instruements (ICVS-A) training we are ready to:
- Apply accounting standards for fair value and understand the history behind the fair value movment
- Ascertain the purpose behind the issuance and usage of complex derivative products
- Employ the current valuation techniques for these financial products.
- The three valuation approaches
- Fair value accounting and disclosure requirements
- Fair value methodologies and techniques for valuing financial instruments (equities, debt, securitized instruments, and derivatives)
- Python programming language using advanced financial libraries developed by the Center experts
Message from the Center's co-Founder
Watch Message from Dr. Joel DiCicco, the co-founder and principal consultant for the Center
Meet our Team Members
The Center’s leadership team and subject matter experts (SME) have extensive experience in managing projects, programs, and portfolios both in the private and public sectors. The faculty for ICVS-A have passed the certification exam and exhibited experience performing valuation assignment on complex financial projects
Dr, Joel M. DiCIcco, CPA, ICVS-A
Co-founder and Managing DIrector
Dr. Dereje Tessema
Co-founder and Managing Director
The Center for International Business Valuation (CfIBV)
20289 State Road 7, Suit 400 Boca Raton, Florida 33498